A senior partner in McLennan Ross, Rod is respected as one of the province’s most experienced counsel.
The diversity of the legal problems and issues with which Rod has been involved is far-reaching. His extensive experience in criminal and civil litigation, in both private and public law cases, at all levels of the Canadian court system, is well-known and respected throughout the province and beyond. He is frequently called upon to advise governments on constitutional and litigious matters.
Rod lectured for a number of years at the University of Alberta, Faculty of Law in advocacy. He also has major commercial exposure in land development in both Canada and the U.S. Rod’s commercial exposure, coupled with over 40 years of practice in the courts, enable him to extend to his clients the valuable benefit of his mature judgment.
In 1974 Rod was appointed Queen’s Counsel and in 1985 was made a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- LL.B., University of Alberta
- B.A., University of Alberta
Awards and Recognition
- Leading Practitioner – Corporate Commercial Litigation, Director/Officer Liability, Product Liability, Securities Litigation, and Professional Liability Law, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Edmonton Lawyer of the Year - Legal Malpractice Law, Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2020
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Construction Law, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Director and Officer Liability, Insurance Law, International Arbitration, Legal Malpractice Law, Natural Resources Law, Personal Injury Litigation, Product Liability Law and Securities Law, Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2006 - 2020
- Edmonton Lawyer of the Year - International Arbitration, Best Lawyers® in Canada, 2019
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Canada 2016
- Edmonton Product Liability Law Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers® in Canada
- Leader - Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global
- Edmonton Construction Law Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers® in Canada
- Edmonton Securities Law Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers® in Canada
- Edmonton Legal Malpractice Law Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers® in Canada 2012
- Local Litigation Star - Constitutional, Criminal, Benchmark Litigation Canada
- 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada, Most Creative Corporate Litigator in Alberta, Lexpert
- One of the Country's Top 25 Litigators, Lexpert
- Leading Business Lawyer - Commercial Litigation, Who's Who Legal
- Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada and UK, Lexpert/American Lawyer's Guide, International Who's Who of Business Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities:
- Chairman, Second Quadrennial Judicial Compensation and Benefits Commission of Canada
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers