View Printable Page
For almost 50 years McLennan Ross has had the privilege of providing its legal services throughout the North: Northwest Territories, Nunavut and the Yukon.
In 1999, McLennan Ross proudly opened its Yellowknife office to specifically address the local needs of governments, municipalities, individuals, corporations and others living, and doing business in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. Since then, our Yellowknife office has grown to one of the largest private law firms in the North with four lawyers based in Yellowknife.
Although committed to serving our clients with lawyers resident in Yellowknife, we can also call upon the expertise of 19 lawyers resident in Edmonton and Calgary who are also licensed to practice in the Northwest Territories and/or Nunavut. These lawyers, along with our experienced and knowledgeable paralegals and staff, are able to provide a full range of legal services, in an effective and efficient manner, to clients throughout the North. Our Northern lawyers are backed by the firm’s support departments including accounting, IT, library services and word processing.
We provide services to our clients in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut in a variety of practice areas including:
- Corporate and commercial securities
- Commercial and construction litigation
- Municipal law
- Administrative law
- Energy, environmental utilities & regulatory law
- Aboriginal issues
- Education law
- Mining and natural resource law
- Health law
- Labour and employment
- Occupational health and safety
- Human Rights
- Estates, trusts and taxation
- Insurance and risk management
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Procurement law
- Supply chain management
- Not-for-profit law
We provide commercial litigation, insurance and risk management services to our clients in the Yukon.
|Ron Kruhlak, Q.C.||email@example.com|
|Gavin Fitch, Q.C.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Labour & Employment
- McLennan Ross negotiates collective agreements for the Government of the Northwest Territories and its teachers and unionized public servants.
- McLennan Ross negotiates collective agreements for the Government of Nunavut and its teachers and unionized public servants.
- Represents the Government of Nunavut and a number of northern municipalities in their collective bargaining.
- Investigates harassment and other complaints for the Governments of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Retained by the Office of the Interim Commissioner to provide advice with respect to labour relations and employment law for Nunavut (prior to its inception).
- Counsel in a termination arbitration which generated a new law on amounts to be paid to unionized employees who are not reinstated.
- Assist employers in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories with matters involving the Workers’ Compensation Act, in dealing with the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Workers’ Safety and Compensation Commission.
- Engaged by the Government of Nunavut to conduct a review of public service labour legislation across Canada.
Corporate Commercial Securities
- Acted for Nunavut Power Corporation (now Quiliq Energy Corporation) with respect to the issue of debentures for financing of long term debt; the negotiation of their general line of credit with a chartered bank, and with respect to general corporate matters including the completion of minutes and the conducting of board of director meetings.
- Provide initial advice and follow-through services related to various joint ventures and partnerships established between aboriginal and non-aboriginal business groups.
- Counsel for the Adjudicator appointed under the Conflict of Interest Act to inquire into the conduct of the Premier of the Northwest Territories.
- Counsel to various tribunals in the Northwest Territories.
Commercial & Construction Litigation
- Represent the Northwest Territories Power Corporation in the Northwest Territories Supreme Court in actions concerning defective construction, insurance claims access to information, privacy issues and wrongful dismissal actions.
- Act for a number of banks and private lenders in foreclosure and security enforcement proceedings in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.
Energy, Environmental & Regulatory
- Acted as counsel to several CEAA panels and as a selected representative of the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development in land use disputed among First Nations.
- McLennan Ross provides legal advice to municipalities in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- McLennan Ross provides legal assistance and training to municipal boards including Development Appeal Boards.
- Represent municipalities before the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories and the Nunavut Court of Justice.
Restructuring & Insolvency
- Represented a mining field services company in its claim for construction and operation of the Tahera diamond mine.
- Represent a major Canadian bank on recovery files in the Northwest Territories, Central and Northern Alberta.
- Represent a major retail store on individual recoveries in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.