The Health Group at McLennan Ross represents the formalization of a long-standing industry group within the firm. Headed by Jon Rossall, Q.C., the group includes litigators, corporate commercial lawyers and labour & employment lawyers who share a common interest and experience in the health law field.
We advise a diverse group of clients, including:
- Physician practice groups and academic medicine departments
- The Alberta Medical Association
- The Psychiatric Nursing Association
- The Professional Association of Residents of Alberta
- The Canadian Medical Protective Association
McLennan Ross can represent you in inquests, disciplinary proceedings, in the courts and negotiations and in commercial endeavors involving alternative payment programs and the establishment of a variety of membership structures.
Our lawyers also provide extensive advice to medical organizations and government on health-related policy and legislative initiatives.
We have presented to physicians and physician associations on a variety of health law issues, and written extensively in the area of health law throughout Alberta, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
|Chris Lane, Q.C.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
- Representing a physician in Fort Smith charged with inappropriate conduct in conjunction with a medical examination
- Representing a provincial medical association in making submissions on behalf of Alberta physicians to a Privacy Commissioner's Investigation regarding the sale of health provider information to an international pharmaceutical association
- Defending a physician being sued by the estate of a former patient for damages arising from an alleged failure to detect and properly treat an infection
- Representing several physicians called to give evidence at a coroner's inquest arising from the death of a patient while in RCMP custody
- Assisting various physicians and physician groups in establishing practices or in joining existing medical practices
- Working with the AMA, Alberta Health Services and Alberta Health & Wellness to create a Provincial shared Electronic Health Record
- Defending physicians sued as a result of an alleged failure to properly monitor day passes granted to a psychiatric patient
- Successfully assisting a physician in responding to a Medical Board of Inquiry complaint alleging medical misconduct in failing to detect cancerous growths in the context of annual physical examinations
- Working with various consultants to establish Primary Care Networks throughout Alberta designed to provide multi-disciplinary family practice models
- Assisting a provincial medical association in negotiations with the Workers' Compensation Board in arriving at a long term agreement with physicians on the treatment of workers and the form of reporting
- Working with the Alberta Medical Association on various projects involving electronic medical records and the various and complex issues surrounding that evolution
- Assisting a provincial medical association in responding to a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner for the Province of Alberta regarding an alleged failure to properly respond to a request for health information
- Working with the AMA and Alberta Health Services to create a set of Provincial Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules
- Representing a Northwest Territories physician in appealing a health board's refusal to grant hospital privileges
- Regularly advise physicians' organizations on contract interpretation, drafting and policy issues
- Regularly advise government and administrative tribunals on health-related policy and adjudicative matters involving patient issues and professional disciplinary matters
Feb 09, 2018
Court Quashes Privacy Commissioner’s Decision Regarding Doctors’ Access to Patient Information
Oct 17, 2016
Physicians Vote to Help Bring Stability to Province’s Healthcare
Mar 02, 2016
Alberta Court Grants First Exemption for Physician-Assisted Death
Feb 08, 2016
Nov 09, 2011
When is a Custodian Not a Custodian?
May 01, 2010
Alberta Occupational Health & Safety Targets Health Care Sector
Apr 22, 2010
OIPC Criticizes Missing EMR Audit Trail
Mar 30, 2010
Telehealth: A Right or a Privilege in Alberta?
Jan 01, 2010
The Costs of Raising an Unwanted Child - Are These Really Damages?
Jan 01, 2010
Perspectives on Professional Corporations Statutes Amendment Act