Jim’s legal practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation. With a practice built-up over 30 years, Jim’s experience includes cases involving construction disputes, products liability, professional liability (lawyers and engineers), oil and gas, utility regulation, shareholders disputes, intellectual property, labour, derivatives contracts, lender and directors’ liability.
Based in Calgary, Alberta, Jim conducts cases in Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta.
Jim served as a member of the Canadian Bar Association’s (CBA) National Council from 1988 to 2010, as President of the CBA Alberta Branch and as a representative on the CBA’s national executive. From 2003 to 2009 Jim was a member of the CBA’s Legislation and Law Reform Committee (Chair 2007 to 2009), which is responsible for reviewing and approving the CBA’s legislative and advocacy submissions.
In recognition of Jim’s long commitment to the CBA, Jim received the CBA – Alberta Branch Outstanding Service Award in 2006 and the CBA SOGIC Ally Award in 2006.
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario
- M.Sc. Economics, London School of Economics, England
- B.A. Honours, Queen’s University
Awards and Recognition
- Leading practitioner – Construction and Corporate Commercial Litigation, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Recognized in the areas of Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Construction Law and Legal Malpractice Law, Best Lawyers in Canada
- BV Distinguished peer review rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Leader in the field – Dispute Resolution - Alberta, Chambers Global 2013
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 1996
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Former Executive Member, CBA Construction Section, Calgary
Community and Volunteer Activities
- Long term involvement with Scouts Canada, serving in leadership roles in his community and as Honorary Co-Counsel for the Chinook Region.
- Jim has participated in the Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer each year since 2009. This event raises millions of dollars to benefit the Alberta Cancer Foundation.